Implantable Cardiac Devices
Heart disease remains one of the leading causes of death in the United States but there are a number of different implantable cardiac devices (ICDs) available today, including pacemakers, defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization devices, that can help people with heart disease or failure go on to lead normal lives by regulating their heart beats through a series of electric shocks. To determine the facts about these devices, this paper provides a review of the literature to explain the respective indications for these devices as well as their differences. Finally, a summary of the research and important findings concerning these implantable cardiac devices are provided in the conclusion.
Review and Discussion
Indications for each of the following: Pacemaker, ICD (defibrillator) & Cardiac Resynchronization Devices
Pacemaker. According to Gregoratos et al. (1), this type of ICD is indicated for patients suffering from abnormalities of atrioventricular (AV) conduction which may be asymptomatic; however, in some cases, patients will experience serious symptoms due to ventricular arrhythmias, bradycardia, or both). Consequently, Gregoratos and his associates (1) report that indications for pacemaker implants are related to the presence or absence of bradycardia-attributable symptoms. In addition, Gregoratos et al. (1) note that physician discretion concerning permanent pacing is required in cases of AV block following valve surgery. In sum, the American Heart Association (2) reports that pacemakers are indicated for:
Patients whose hearts beat too slow or fast;
Patients who hearts do not beat regularly; and,
Patients who suffer from a block in the heart’s electrical pathways.
ICD (defibrillator). According to Perry (3), ICDs are the most effective method for preventing sudden cardiac death among high-risk coronary patients that have been identified to date. The 2012 ACCF/AHA/HRS Guidelines for Implantable Defibrillator and Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy for Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities (4) reports that these devices are indicated for patients in the following circumstances:
Level of Evidence: A With left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) ? 35% due to prior myocardial infarction (MI) who are at least 40 days post-MI and are in New York Heart Association (NYHA) Functional Class II or III;
With LV dysfunction due to prior MI who are at least 40 days post-MI, have an LVEF ? 30%, and are in NYHA Functional Class I; and,
Who are survivors of cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation (VF) or hemodynamically unstable sustained ventricular tachycardia (VT) after evaluation to define the cause of the event and to exclude any completely reversible causes.
Level of Evidence: B
With nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) who have an LVEF ? 35% and who are in NYHA Functional Class II or III;
With nonsustained VT due to prior MI, LVEF < 40%, and inducible VF or sustained VT at electrophysiological study;
With structural heart disease and spontaneous sustained VT, whether hemodynamically stable or unstable;
With syncope of undetermined origin with clinically relevant, hemodynamically significant sustained VT or VF induced at electrophysiological study;
Assuming patients are on chronic, optimal medical therapy and have a reasonable expectation of survival with good functional status for > 1 year (4).
Cardiac Resynchronization Devices
According to the American Heart Association (5), cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) is used to treat various arrhythmias; in sum, CRT devices are indicated for the following patients:
LVEF ? 35%
Left Bundle Branch Block (LBBB)
Q wave, R wave and S wave duration ? 150 ms
NYHA class II, III, or ambulatory
Guideline-Directed Medical Therapy
Class IV symptoms (Level of Evidence: A for NYHA class III/IV; Level of Evidence: B for NYHA class II) (5).
2. Differences between Pacemaker, ICD (defibrillator) & Cardiac Resynchronization Devices
A. implantation site. The American Heart Association (6) reports that these small devices are implanted under the collarbone.
B. function. According to the American Heart Association (6), pacemakers help patients’ hearts beat in a regular fashion through electrical stimulation that are delivered directly to the heart as needed.
C. Population treated including any restrictions for age groups. According to Lamas and Pashos (7), although pacemakers are used by the elderly, younger adults can also benefit from these devices.
D. Rhythms treated. The Heart Rhythm Society (8) reports that pacemakers are typically used to treat the following conditions: bradycardia, atrial fibrillation, heart failure and syncope.
E. Complications. Caution should be exercised when operating large industrial microwave devices and batteries must be replaced every 5 to 8 years (8).
A. implantation site. According to the American Heart Association (9), these devices can be implanted in the chest or abdomen, but they are usually placed just below the collarbone.
B. function. These devices stimulate the heart when it detects the heart slowing beyond a certain point (ICD, 2016).
C. Population treated including any restrictions for age groups. Although typically used in adults, ICDs can also be used for children (9).
D. Rhythms treated. ICDs are used to treat patients who suffer from known, sustained ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation (9).
E. Complications. Strong magnetic fields can interfere with ICD functioning (9).
Cardiac Resynchronization Devices
A. implantation site. These devices are usually implanted in the upper chest (10).
B. function. These devices deliver an electric shock if the heart is detected beating too fast (10).
C. Population treated including any restrictions for age groups. There are no specified age restrictions for this device (10).
D. Rhythms treated. CRD devices are used to treat heart failure, ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation (10).
E. Complications. Any complications such as infection or drug reactions related to the implant of these devices are usually related to the surgical implantation procedure and are regarded as minimal (11).
Although heart disease remains a leading cause of death in the United States, the introduction of various implantable cardiac devices in recent years has provided a growing number of patients with the ability to lead relatively normal lives by regulating their heart beats. Although the research showed that pacemakers, ICD defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization devices differ in their specific functioning and purposes, they all shared the common feature of moderating the heart beat in order to maintain its regularity by delivering electrical shocks. All of these devices also shared a common feature of being surgically implanted, a procedure that also carries some risks. Finally, while all of these devices were shown to be effective in regulating heart beats, they all still rely on battery power which means that batteries must be replaced periodically.
1. Gregoratos, G et al. American Heart Association [Internet] ACC/AHA Practice Guidelines 2016 [cited 2016 April 26] Available from http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/97/13/1325.full.
2. American Heart Association. [Internet] What is a pacemaker. 2016 [cited 2016 April 26] Available from https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents / downloadable/ucm_300451.pdf.
3. Perry, P ICD — The Beat Goes On: Experts Call for Expanded Coverage of ICDs, the Most Effective Method to Date for Preventing Sudden Cardiac Death in High-Risk Coronary Patients. The Saturday Evening Post 2004, March-April 276(2): 28-29.
4. Medtronic [Internet] 2012 ACCF/AHA/HRS Guidelines for Implantable Defibrillator and Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy for Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities. 2012. [cited 2016 April 26] Available from http://www.medtronic.com/content/dam/medtronic-com-m/mdt/crdm / documents/2012-accf-aha-hrs-guidelines.pdf.
5. American Heart Association [Internet] Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT) 2016. [cited 2016 April 26] Available from: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartFailure / Cardiac-Resynchronization-Therapy_UCM_452920_Article.jsp#.VyDjgfkrK1s.
6. American Heart Association. [Internet] What is a pacemaker. 2016 [cited 2016 April 26] Available from https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents / downloadable/ucm_300451.pdf.
7. Lamas, GA & Pashos, CL Permanent pacemaker selection and subsequent survival in elderly Medicare pacemaker recipients. 1995. Circulation 91(4): 1063-1069.
8. Heart Rhythm Society [Internet] Pacemaker 2016. [cited 2016 April 26] Available from: Rhythm Society http://www.hrsonline.org/Patient-Resources/Treatment/Pacemaker
9. American Heart Association [Internet] ICD. 2016. [cited 2016 April 26] Available from: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/PreventionTreatmentofArrhythmia/Implantable-Cardioverter-Defibrillator-ICD_UCM_448478_Article.jsp#.VyDYifkrK1s
10. St. Jude Medical [Internet]. CRD. c2016 [cited 2016 April 26] Available from: https://www.sjm.com/sjm%20health/heart-failure-answers/treatment-options/cardiac-resynchronization-therapy/crt-d.
11. Medtronic. [Internet] Resynchronization Therapy for Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities. 2016 [cited 2016 April 26] Available from: http://www.medtronic.com/content/dam/medtronic-com-m/mdt/crdm/documents/2012-accf-aha-hrs-guidelines.pdf.
Get Professional Assignment Help Cheaply
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Why Choose Our Academic Writing Service?
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently
Online Academic Help With Different Subjects
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
What discipline/subjects do you deal in?
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Are your writers competent enough to handle my paper?
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
What if I don’t like the paper?
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
- When assigning your order, we match the paper’s discipline with the writer’s field/specialization. Since all our writers are graduates, we match the paper’s subject with the field the writer studied. For instance, if it’s a nursing paper, only a nursing graduate and writer will handle it. Furthermore, all our writers have academic writing experience and top-notch research skills.
- We have a quality assurance that reviews the paper before it gets to you. As such, we ensure that you get a paper that meets the required standard and will most definitely make the grade.
In the event that you don’t like your paper:
- The writer will revise the paper up to your pleasing. You have unlimited revisions. You simply need to highlight what specifically you don’t like about the paper, and the writer will make the amendments. The paper will be revised until you are satisfied. Revisions are free of charge
- We will have a different writer write the paper from scratch.
- Last resort, if the above does not work, we will refund your money.
Will the professor find out I didn’t write the paper myself?
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
What if the paper is plagiarized?
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
When will I get my paper?
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
Will anyone find out that I used your services?
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
How our Assignment Help Service Works
1. Place an order
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
2. Pay for the order
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
3. Track the progress
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
4. Download the paper
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!